The World in Gala Dinner is a yearly event organized by The Economist – the renowned and famous all over the world newspaper of a magazine format. People who usually get invited to such an occasion are business leaders, high governmental officials and world’s most notorious academics. During the evening they share their bold insights and predictions that might define the global economy for the next year, and they do this in a casual atmosphere of cocktails, quizzes, lectures, and small talks.
This year, the Gala Dinners will take place in Sofia on January 19, and in Athens on February 8. They usually begin with brief networking conversations over the cocktails. After that, the chosen speakers give their talks that contain thought-provoking contemplations over the economic future and inspiring predictions. The following activity is made up of a quiz that gives a chance to all Gala Dinner visitors to participate in an interesting, prediction-based questionnaire.
Among this year’s speakers, you will see the former Italian prime minister, the CEO & President of Xerox Hellas, the Chairman of the BoD, the Minister for the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU Council, and many other prominent people who will provide the listeners with valuable information.
6 Questions to Be Raised
The detailed program hasn’t been published yet, but judging from the previous years we can approximately state which matters the global leaders might discuss during the World in 2018 Gala Dinner. They may touch upon:
- The potential of economic growth in 2018. In 2017 a lot of states experienced the economic and political turmoil that led to stagnation, inflation, and decline. However, other countries managed to maintain the stable growth. Will the situation be similar in 2018?
- The struggles of Europe. Brexit, the weakened position of Angela Merkel and the reforms of the EU make the future of Europe indefinite and vague. But maybe the world’s best influencers will be able to shed light on this issue and share their thoughts.
- The economic rise of China and India. How will the economic growth of 2 most-populated countries impact the situations in the neighboring states?
- 2 technological leaders – the USA and China. The speed of innovations and their commercializing in these 2 countries affect the status of EU that right now holds a disadvantageous position in this field.
- The state of developing and developed countries. Due to the political fragmentation, many governments don’t have the opportunities to provide people with proper social conditions and education. Will this fact give a rise to non-profit organizations and unions driven to assist in the progress of developing countries?
- Donald Trump and international retreat. It is still unclear whether the new President plans to breach the terms of the international cooperation or just to renegotiate them. Anyway, in both cases, it is hard to predict the consequences.
The Economist’s Gala Dinner is exactly the event that can provide businessmen, investors, and researchers with valuable data that can be used to take important decisions. It is worth following it and taking into account the insights broadcasted during such an event.